Second largest city in Sabah and born along the north-eastern seaboard of Sabah, Sandakan is the gate-way for eco-adventures as it offers unrivaled beauty in all its natural glory. Though it lacks the cosmopolitan pulse of Kota Kinabalu, Sandakan throbs with plenty of wild wonders. Blessed with a naturally endowed hinterland, the Kinabatangan flows from its headwaters in southwest Sabah to the Sulu Sea east of Sandakan. The river flows through a remarkably varied terrain within Sandakan that includes limestone caves, dry-land dipterocarp forest, riverine forest, freshwater swamp forest, oxbow lakes and saltwater mangrove swamp which makes for a long list of things to see and do on your Borneo holiday. Gomantong Caves Concealed within an enormous limestone hill, The Gomantong Cave is Sabah’s most extensive cave systems, well-renowned for bats, swiflets and scattered with prized swiflets’ nest. There are two cave complexes – Simud Hitam (Black Cave) soaring up to 90 meters high and the more accessible of the two, and Simud Putih (White Cave). Bornean Sun Bear Conservation Centre Sun bears are amongst the smallest and rarest bears in the world and can only be found in the Southeast Asia region. Bilit Rainforest Lodge Situated on the river bank of Lower Kinabatangan River, approximately 2 hours drive from Sandakan Town, the lodge is built on stilts from local hardwood materials and are beautifully designed to blend into nature giving a unique local native ambience in the midst of the tropical rainforest. A boardwalk connects the jetty, restaurant and all the chalets. It offers comfort and peaceful relaxation as well as a base for exploration of the incredible diversity of plant, mammal and bird life at the Kinabatangan region.
- Pickup from Hotel and transfer to Kota Kinabalu International Airport
- 0845hrs Flight depart to Sandakan
- 0935hrs Arrive at Sandakan Airport
- Embark your air-conditioned transport, sit back and enjoy your ride that takes approximately 2hrs through rustic countryside studded with villages.
- Arrive at Gomantong Caves located in the heartland of the Gomantong Forest Reserve, a home of millions bats and swiftlets. Explore the biggest bird’s nest cave in Sabah and the best-managed edible bird’s nest.
- Lunch along the way
- Continue an approximately 30mins drive to Bilit Rainforest Lodge located beside the Lower Kinabatangan River in the village of Bilit, a base for easy exploration of the incredible diversity of plant, mammal and birds at the Kinabatangan region.
- Upon arrival at Bilit Jetty, take a boat transfer to the lodge. Welcome drink, short briefing and check-in. Lunch at Bilit Restaurant.
- Alternatively explore the surrounding vegetation or just relax.
- At 1600hrs join a river cruise in search of endemic Proboscis monkeys, different species of birds and other wildlife along the river bank.
- At 1900hrs dinner at Bilit Restaurant.
- Overnight at Bilit Rainforest Lodge
- 0600hrs Early Morning Cruise or Jungle Trek to Ox-Bow Lake for bird watching.
- Check-out and depart Bilit.
- Return to Sandakan approximately 2.5hrs drive. En-route to the world famous Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre situated in the Kabili-Sepilok Forest Reserve.
- Upon arrival, a short brief by your guide. Then watch a video show documentary on rehabilitation of orphaned Orang Utan before taking a boardwalk through the lowland rainforest to view the feeding platform.
- Witness the feeding of Orang Utan at 1000hrs.
- Enjoy your lunch before transfer and drop-off at Sandakan Airport for departure flight to Kota Kinabalu.
- 1455hrs Flight depart to Kota Kinabalu.
- We reserve the right to ALTER/CANCEL the tour if necessary due to weather/geographic circumstances for guest’s safety.
- Non-refund or postpone for any unused tour or cancel after reservation confirmed due to personal effects.
- Above stated rates exclude service fee for Tour Guide & Driver. Gratuities are subjected to guest for them.
- Minimum number of guest for departure is 02 Adults. Child’s rate applies to age 03yrs-11yrs.
- Other package such as overland to Sandakan for Sepilok Orang Utan Center, Sukau River Cruise, Ex semporna for Mabul / Sipadan Islands Diving and many more are available upon Request